CS 150 - Spring 2018
Lab 1 - Computer Setup, zyBooks, and Course Introduction
Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Objectives of this Lab
- Log in to department computers, and
- using the terminal, change your department password, next
- register for your zyBooks account, then
- practice using the tools in zyBooks, and lastly
- review the course website and the Piazza discussion board.
Logging In to CS Computers
- First, choose the xf windows manager in the upper right-hand corner of the log-in screen. Most computers will already have this option selected.
- Login to the machine using your EID (same username that you use for RamWeb or Canvas).
- Your initial password is your student ID number (the nine digit number on your RamCard).
- Choose "Use Default Settings" in order to see your task bar and icons.
- After logging in, you will change your password as described below.
- Troubleshooting: Raise your hand if you cannot login!
Changing your Password on CS Computers
- Select "Applications" in the upper left corner of the screen, then select "Terminal Emulator".
- You should now have a terminal window open where you can type Linux commands.
- Note: This is similar to using the DOS command prompt in Windows.
- Use the
passwd command to change your password.
- We recommend changing it to your RamWeb password, if possible.
- When typing passwords into a terminal window, you will not see anything show up as you type, but characters are being recorded, so be careful.
- Remember this password as you will use it to log in to any computer in the CS building, as well as when you turn in your programming assignments.
Register your zyBooks account
For those who have not already created a zyBooks account, we will do so first in this lab.
The subscription for this class is $48 and will last until June 13, 2018. However, the first chapter is not due until January 28; so if you are not sure you will remain in this class you can sign up at a later time. Additionally, zyBooks does offer the first chapter of their textbooks for free, but you will still need to create an account. Reference these instructions when you do so.
- Please visit www.zybooks.com and click the Create Account button in the top right corner.
- When filling out the required information you must use your CSU rams email address.
- Additionally, please enter your EID in the Student ID field.
Note: Your EID is your modified name CSU assigned to you, not your 9-digit student number.
For example, if an email address is email@example.com, this student's EID is ktsmith.
- Next enter the following course code COLOSTATECS150Spring2018 when prompted.
- Once everyone has registered, we will do a few exercises together in lab to get you started on your first zyBooks assignment.
- Keep the zyBooks webpage open, as part of today's lab points come from your TA checking the student ID field of your account.
Using the Class Website and Piazza
With computer science classes, almost all the action happens on the respective class website rather than in Canvas. You can access the website through this link or simply search "csu cs 150". Your TA will quickly review the information available to you on this website. Next, your TA will discuss using the class Piazza discussion board. Please use Piazza for most of your questions related to this class. This includes questions about class logistics, assignment clarifications, and general topic questions from the material. Reserve email for private concerns, such as personal emergencies.
- Log in to Canvas and open the Lab 1 attendance quiz on a department machine.
- Next, answer the first question of the quiz, and have your TA check your zyBooks EID and enter the passcode for today's lab.
© 2018 CS150 Colorado State University. All Rights Reserved.