See this page as a slide show
- A text editor allows you to modify the contents of a file in a convenient way.
- For Windows users, think notepad, not Microsoft Word.
- There are many editors. We will cover three:
gedit is like
notepad in windows.
- It’s not that powerful, but it’s easy to use.
- It has a menu bar at the top.
- It requires a graphics connection.
- A simple text editor that provides basic editing functions
- Most commands are performed by pressing Ctrl and some other key.
- Ctrl (pronounced “control”) is a modifier, just like the shift key.
- The symbol
^ in front of a character means hold down Ctrl
while pressing that character.
pico: Some Commands
|Ctrl-P or ↑||Go Up||delete key||Delete char under the cursor|
|Ctrl-N or ↓||Go Down||backspace||Delete char before the cursor|
|Ctrl-B or ←||Go Left||Ctrl-O||Save|
|Ctrl-F or →||Go Right||Ctrl-X||Quit|