The teaching page of my website shows the average response to the "how would you rank this professor" question on the ASCSU surveys for courses I have taught since 2011. I read through the forms to see what comments the students wrote, however, and I thought students might be interested in each other's reactions, too. So this page collects the comments from my most recent classes. It is unedited: I include all comments from a class, positive or negative. In some cases the handwriting is difficult, but I transcribe as accurately as I can. To protect anonymity, I do not include student names, although I do mark whether the comment was signed or unsigned.
- CS510 SP17 . 4 comments, 17 responses.
- Well this is the best course ever taken in my
degree uptil now by leading of knowledge exposure and
understanding. Although my grade in this subj is bad but
the course is one of the best. I will love to have this
subject again or anything related to this. (signed)
- A very good graduate level. Covers all
aspects. Assignments could have been more
- Exam too hard. Fun class. (signed)
- Best course I have ever taken. (signed)
- CS253 Fall16 . 32 comments, 53 responses.
- Draper is a fantastic Prof. He knows his material very well and is enthusiastic to teach every class. I hope the class stays very similar for the foreseeable future. I liked that class sessions could be used for any questions we might have. Only thing I would change is recitations. I liked what we learned, but would have prefered that we learn more about methods for creating string programming assignments.
- This class was very challenging and Dr. Draper did not make it easy which made this my hardest class this semester. I learned the most from this class. Dr. Draper is a hard but very good professor. (signed)
- Good course overall. Wish assignment grades had been relased in a more timely fashion. (signed)
- This was my favorite and most interesting class this semester.(signed)
- One of the hardest courses ever. Tests and assignments were next level. Draper is smart but his tests were unreal. Ultimately though, the help to mold myself and others into beginning actual programmers. Super challenging but learned a lot. Was super strict on grade changes which sucked whenever I got a bad grade though.
- Wonderful course. Learned a ton. Biggest problem was speed of getting back grades. When you get your grade for the previous assignment on the day the next is due... its fristrating. (unsigned)
- This class was very informative and definitely tested my confidence as a programmer. The exams made me feel like I was being tested more on my ability to be a human compiler rather than a programmer, which was kind of frustrating. But its okay because at least the grades were curved. (signed)
- The 65% requirement is ridiculous. If you get > 70%, you should pass the class. (unsigned)
- Arguably one of the best Instructors/class I have had at CSU. Prof. Draper has a great understanding of the material and knows how students learn it. He facilitates student learning very well. I hope to have another class taught by Prof. Draper. (signed)
- You are by far the most intense teacher I've had so far, but also the most enthusiastic! You teach the language you like and you do your best to help us understand, thn really push us with your tests! (unsigned)
- This has been the best CS class by far. Your lecture was informative and engaging. The program were tough, but also exremely fun. I learned so much more than I ever thought I would. Best CS teacher I have had. (signed)
- Dr. Draper is awesome. Very passionate about the students and the subject. (signed)
- This course was an enjoyable difficult and you are hans downm the best teacher I've ever had in the CS department. THank you for everything. (unsigned)
- Programming assignments need more consistency in difficulty. Test cases & grades need to be released in a more timely manner. The 65 minimum grade requirement on exams / programs puts more stress on studewnts than needed. Especially with the exam format and difficulty. (unsigned)
- I think you communicate well in lecture and do a good job at teaching material, but you seem fairly disorganized with assignment due dates, and getting grades back to us. You personally helped me very much this semester outside of class which I appreciate. (signed)
- This class is hard, but Dr. Draper is a great instructor. (signed)
- Very much enjoyed the class. Felt I gained a lot of knowledge in C++/Programming in general. (unsigned)
- Awesome professor! Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic.
- Possibly my favorite class at CSU. T think the reading quizzes are helpful but to improve them: make them 10 questions, allow students to retake them unlimited times, you only get credit if you get all 10 right.(signed)
- Loved the assignments but did not love lectures because they were hard to keep interest in. I understand why tests are the way they are but wish there was also common knowledge questions to prove understanding of concepts as well as implementations on tests as well. (signed)
- An incredibly smart man who teaches very well. Assignments are grueling but worth it. I learned a lot. If Chris Wilcox and George Kostanza were morphed into one, you'd get the amazing Dr. Draper. Thanks for making this fun. (unsigned)
- Exams are difficult but helped me learn a lot. Great lectures and great at helping students outside the classroom. Turn around time for grades could be better. Overall, very helpful and good at explaining difficult concepts. (signed)
- Everything was great, most valuable class I've taken so far. Some topics we seemed to spend a lot of time going over the same points. I think that reviewing code samples during these times would have been more useful. (unsigned)
- This class totally kicked my butt. I am happy to be done with this class. I did well and I'm glad I took it and I'm proud of all of my projects. Thanks for the butt whooping. (unsigned)
- Amazing professor. Definitely one of my favorite @ CSU. Tests are hard, but force you to study. 10/10 would recommend to people. (unsigned)
- Favorite course/professor of my entire time at CSU. He is well spoken, organized, knowledgeable, professional. TA's are very good at their jobs. Lectures/recitations felt natural & were very educational. Assignments definitely increased by knowledge of the subject. Overall, 5/5. (signed).
- I really enjoyed this course taught by Dr. Draper. He is a wealth of knowledge knows everything about the topic and knows how to teach it. He is a great teacher and this class finally makes me feel like a programmer. (signed)
- Great course and objectives, however I did not think it make sense to allow so many regrades for simple errors like .tar and makefile errors, which the students should be aware of reading assignment description. I did receive points for a .h mistake regrade, but still believe thses errors (including mine) should have been final, as those requirements were made clear at beginning of course. (signed)
- Probably my favorite CS class to date! I learned a ton and have a great foundation in C++ now. I especially appreciate the due dates and strictness of the course. It not only kept me honest, but its great preparation for the real world. The labs, I felt, could have used a little more meat. I felt done 10-15 minutes in and spent most the time waiting to get checked. (something illegible) (signed)
- The assignments may have been frustrating, but they were certainly more fun than 270, where I spent half my time trying to figure out what I should be doing. p.s. grading somewhat generous. My daad got about an 88% on midterm 2. (unsigned)
- Bruce did a rare thing in this class. Often times, classes in this department are unneccesarily challenging and therefore not very useful courses. However, Bruce managed to make this a very fair yet very challenging class. I feel like I gained a great deal from this class and have gained a lot of confidence in my ability to write large scale and buildable code. Bruce is an awesome professor and a lot of other professors in this department could take a note from him. Thanks for a great semester! (*) One thing: the PA9 grades should have been completed quicker. Many of us are having towait to see if our program is even corect before worrying about speed. We have too much going on this time of year to have the added unneccessary stress. (signed)
- Draper is obviously very knowledgeable on the subject of C++, the assignments were challenging yet entertaining and greatly increased my knowledge of the language. I do wish some instructions were a little more clear (namely the placement of the epsilon values in PA9/10 because I need to do well on those assignments) and that responses from instructors were a little more prompt on Piazza. (unsigned).
- CS253 Spring16 . 34 comments, 57 responses.
- Great course! I really likes the assignment structure. I would move the documentation and unit testing recitations to earlier in the semester. (signed)
- I only wish the reading quizzes were announced better. I often would forget about them till the last minute. Other than that, awesome class. (signed)
- I thought this was an exceptionally well-organized class. The assignments were interesting and the tests were challenging without being unfair. (signed)
- Bruce is the best CS instructor I've had. He should teach more classes within the CS department. 10/7 would recommend.
- I really enjoy the assignments. It builds off each other, rather than doing a project and toss it away. (unsigned)
- Bruce is AMAZING. He is so excited to teach this material. He always answers questions and is fair to everyone. If we make an honest mistake he does not trash our grades. I love his assignments are not easy, but when completed teach you a ton about the material. O hope I have the pleasure of having Bruce as my instructor again. (signed)
- Some assignment descriptions were unclearm and most recitations were poorly done. (unsigned)
- Really great course. A lot of fun. (signed)
- TAs for this course were the worst TA's I have had during my college experience. The recitations, therefore, were terrible. (signed)
- Best CS class yet. Lots of fun. (unsigned)
- Bruce is a smart and handsome. I rate 5/7, great job! (unsigned)
- Bruce you are a gentleman and a scholar. This was the best French class I've ever taken. Thanks for the memories. (unsigned)
- Easily one of the best CS classes. I enjoyed this very much. Keep on rocking. (unsigned)
- This has been my favorite, most beneficial CS course so far. (signed)
- Dope class. (unsigned)
- Well educated professor. Recitations were a bit iffy/felt pointless. (signed)
- A fantastic course with a fantastic professor. If it weren't a required course for CS majors, I would recommend it to everyone. (signed)
- You were the best. Thank you for making CS253 fun! (signed)
- Great teacher. (unsigned)
- Bruce does a fantastic job, please keep him around! (unsigned)
- Bruce is awesome! (signed)
- Bruce was my favorite new teacher at CSU. He knows what he is talking about. He is also very approachable and will answer any questions you have. I was worried about the 50% median tests but now I agree with it. The tests were very hard but very fair. There was never info we had not covered in class on the tests. He did a great job with PAs too. They really helped me learn C++. However, PAs 9 & 10 were a step back from the others. Overall great course, info was well communicated and understood. (signed)
- Make the recitations better learning. A lof of the stuff we did we can learn on our own. (unsigned)
- Bruce is a super-enthusiastic professor that provides a great class. If all professors were like him CSU would be a top-notch program. (unsigned)
- Awesome teaching, really enjoyed taking the class. (signed)
- Lectures felt a bit slow, but generally I liked the class. (unsigned)
- This was my favorite CS class this far. Thank you Bruce! (signed)
- You're a good instructor. However classroom generally is too cold. Wind comes from everywhere. (signed)
- Great progessot he was extremely knowledgable. I learned a great deal and this course was fun! (signed)
- Fav CS course taken at CSU. Was really happy with how it answered important questions quickly and concisely such as the advantages/disadvantages of C++ and how to learn a new programming language or how to pick one for a given project. (unsigned)
- Canvas sucks. The best CS course taught by the best CS professor. Thank you, Bruce, for making such an enjoyable course. (signed)
- Canvas comment on programming assignment test cases could be deleted. (unsigned)
- A little bit of a maniac about his test. If you are going to have a difficult test fine. However, I felt like you were just insisting we were all going to fail. This was really demorilizong. Just tell us what to study. The TAs were terrible. I never saw any indication they were doing the assignment we were given. They never were able to help me understand anything. The labs were weak. They need to be a little more challenging. I honestly don't think I used anything I learned in labs. Bruce was great in office hours. Could have separated his hours up a bit more so one Tue/Th class wouldn't cover both office hour options. Good Prof overall. (signed)
- There were some problems with the auto-grader code throughout the year. It is important that the auto-grader code is solid. Thank you for a very interesting course. It inspired me to work towards becoming a part of Microsoft to help them develop the Hololens. I look forward to next year. (signed)