Design Class Modeling vs Reverse Engineering
PART A DUE:
7 6 April 2018
PART B DUE:
11:59PM, Sunday 9 April 2018
Goal: This Discussion Assignment requires you to read about model
generation from code (reverse engineering) and/or have some experience with
tools such as Rational Softare Architect, Visual Paradigm, and Papyrus
(open source), which generate class diagrams from code. Given source code,
for example a set of Java files, the tools can generate a UML class diagram
that represents the code.
I want you to
understand the difference between design models created by developers to
develop new implementations and the models generated from the code as one
way to visualize and understand the code. While the two types of models
have different utilities, they may also differ in terms of what information
Describe at least three
problems that are likely to occur
with the class models that
are generated directly from code.
What is it about the automatically generated models
that will either be inaccurate or will not
represent the intent of the designer?
- Discuss this with the other members of your topic forum.
- Part A consists of your initial suggestions to the group posted in the discussion group "D7".
- This must be more than
or "Sounds good!"
Be sure to clearly state the reasons or rationale behind your
If you have access to facts or other opinions that
support your opinion, cite those references.
- This part is worth 5 points.
- Post responses to the initial postings. (3 points)
- Prepare a final group posting. This posting should include descriptions of three or more problems that are likely to occur with the class models that are generated directly from code. (2 points)
- If you include quotation or thoughts from other sources,
be sure to cite them appropriately
(author, title, publisher, page, etc.).
- You may use HTML within these messages.