Colorado State University Logo Colorado State University Logo Colorado State University
Albert Lionelle
Academic Success Coordinator
Computer Science

Frequently Asked Questions

Concerns on W-Dropping a class

The following questions were put together by James Peterson, and sent out to the undergrad mailing list.

When should I consider W-Droppping a Class?

Should you withdraw from your Math or Computer Science Course? (Many of the arguments also apply to any courses you are enrolled in.) If you are getting a D or an F at mid-term, you should strongly consider dropping the course by the drop deadline. Below are some common thoughts.

But I will start studying much harder now

Good intentions are admirable, but consider that the bulk of the work in the course is at the end, and you are already behind. Your chances of catching up are poor at best. Be realistic and think of the chance you are taking. If you get a D or F in the course your grade point average will suffer, and you will need to repeat the course in any case if you remain a CS major. If you decide later to change to another major, the bad grade in this course may prevent you from having the GPA necessary to get into your new major.

It doesn't matter if I get a bad grade because I can always Repeat/Delete

First of all, nothing actually gets "deleted" from your transcript, even under r/d policy. While CSU may take the effect of a bad grade out of your GPA calculation (and this doesn't happen automatically), the course and grade remain on your transcript forever. There are also a number of restrictions on the use of the "repeat/delete" policy that may cause you to reconsider whether it is wise or not to use this option. More information on this policy may be seen here: Repeat / Delete Policy

If I drop the course I will lose my financial aid.

Not necessarily. W-dropping a course may or may not have financial aid consequences. It is most likely to have consequences if W dropping the course causes you to fail to meet the completion percentage rule for completing all your courses, or drops you below 12 hours. If you have questions concerning the impact dropping a course may have on your financial aid, contact a Student Financial Services representative in 103 Centennial Hall or by calling 491-6321 (press 5 or email

If I drop the course I'll be kicked out of the dorms.

Probably not. The University Residence Halls only require students to be enrolled in 6 credits. Dropping one course from a full time schedule should not affect your status with Student Housing. Even students who drop below 6 hours can petition to stay in the residence halls.

If I drop the course I can't graduate on time.

Not necessarily. While you may need to take a few additional credits in later semesters or in summer, you can usually make up for dropping one course. Receiving a D or F is going to have a much greater impact on your degree prospects.

If I drop the course my parents will be angry.

Think of how angry they would be if you were on probation or flunked out of school. Parents can be quite understanding, especially when they consider the alternatives.

If I drop now I'll get a W grade. Doesn't a "W" on my transcript look bad?

No. Getting a handful of W's on your college transcript over the course of four years is normal. No one thinks anything of it. It has no effect on your GPA. If you were to accumulate two or three W's every semester, it might show a pattern of not being able to complete what you start, but a few of them over a college career means nothing to anyone. In any case, a W on your transcript is a whole lot better than a D or F.

How do I withdraw from a course?

The same way you enrolled in the first place, by using the RamWeb system to select "withdraw on web" instead of add.

Questions From Front Range Community College

What classes are important / transfer to the CS program?

There is more to this question than what it seems, and that depends on whether or not you choose to earn your associates degree at FRCC. Questions related to the AUCC courses are best directed to the Bridges to Baccalaureate advisors (see below). However, for computer science, here are some courses that can transfer and be benefitial to your degree path. This list was updated Spring 2017, so you should check in as stuff can change fairly quickly.

FRCC Course CSU Similar Course
MAT 201 MATH 160
MAT 202 MATH 161
CSC 160
(Java Version)
CS 163
CSC 161
(Java Version)
CS 165
CSC 165 CS 220
CSC 225 CS 270
We have yet to see a class that matches CS 253 from any community college. Additionally, the science classes you take should match up with CS Approved Natural Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, etc)

How do I transfer to CS @ CSU?

We do not handle transfers ourselves. Instead you should talk with your Northern Colorado Bridges to Baccalaureate (B2B) contact. You can reach them here. We also recommend you have the above course information with you when talking with them, and if you are meeting with us after contacting them, please bring your transcript to the meeting so we can help.

As a CSU student, may I take courses at FRCC?

Taking courses at FRCC is between the community college and you. However, we encourage you to consider the transfer courses we listed above. Additionally, we recommend if you are taking a course in a sequence, that you either take both at FRCC or both at CSU. Calc I and II are perfect examples as the courses end in slightly different spots, so taking one at FRCC and then two at CSU has proven difficult for students in the past.