CS 553: Project 0 (Fall 2006)
Read, try, and understand the setup notes
for tools that you will be
using in this class. You will NOT be turning anything in for this project.
- Java and jar file creation: All of the projects will be written in Java.
- Subversion: If you send your svn log to me via email,
then you may ask for a 24 hour extension on any project
deadline. No questions asked.
- Eclipse: I will only look at people's code if they can pinpoint the
problem in the Eclipse debugger.
- SableCC: You will need SableCC for Project 1.
- GraphViz or dot: You will need to generate graphical representations
of graphs with dot for various project reports.
- SPIM: For Project 2, you will have to compare the runtime in cycles
in the SPIM simulator of a program
that is compiled to Mips with and without register allocation.
For now just learn how to use SPIM. I am tracking down a version of SPIM
that actually maintains instruction counts.
- LaTeX: I highly recommend that you use latex to write your reports for
this class. Most papers in Computer Science are written with LaTeX so
it is best to learn it early on in your graduate career.
Last modified: August 21, 2006