CS 150, Fall 2017
Lab 8 - Linux Tutorial
Monday - October 16th, 2017
Objectives of this Lab
- Review basic Linux commands using the website linuxsurvival.com,
- read through the material of Module 1 and Module 2, and
- complete the respective quizzes at the end of both modules.
Please visit this website to complete today's lab.
Today's lab is designed to let you explore basic linux commands. Please read through all of the sections listed in Module's 1 and 2. At the end of each module take the quiz. It is recommended that you open two tabs for today's lab because your lab points will come from completing two quizzes on the website and showing your TA you have done so.
To get you started today, your TA will briefly show you an example of moving between their own directories to navigate down to the file level, as well as show you how to display the contents of a file - both in the terminal window and in a text editor. Additionally, they will show you what the
man command is useful for.
While going through the website material, you are welcome to open a terminal on your own computer and practice along. The commands won't stick unless you use them yourself with material that is meaningful to you! However be very careful with the commands
rmdir commands. If you are unsure about any of the commands, please verify with a TA before pressing enter and executing a command.
- Have your TA check your attempts of the Linux Survival's Quiz 1 and Quiz 2 for completion and then take the Canvas quiz for today's lab.
- Even if you do not finish today's lab, you still must complete the first question of the Canvas quiz.