Mini Reasearch Exam
The mini reseach-exam is intended to help students develop strong
research skills, and to provide practice to Ph.D. students in the
process and protocols of the research exam. A student is given a
small set of papers, and possibly a short prompt. The student is
expected to identify additional papers in the literature relevant to
the research in the original list, and asked for a written and oral
presentation of a critical review of the papers. The student is
evaluated on five criteria:
- Is the student able to find relevant literature and acquire
depth of knowledge in a given research area?
- In the given research area, does the student show deep insight
and perform a critical analysis?
- Does the student have the breadth of knowledge to perform
research and the ability to acquire new knowledge independently?
- What is the quality of the writing of the report, compared to a
typical paper at a peer-reviewed conference in the given research
- What is the student’s ability to present research and
communicate technical ideas orally?
The mini research-exam in this class has the dsame goals, but
differs from the CS department's (see the exam guidelines
in the following ways:
- There is no committee, just the instructor.
- A full research exam involves five seed papers. For the mini
research exam you will be using three seed papers. One of them
will be a paper from those we have read in the class and you will
identify two related papers that we are not reading in the class.
You do not have to collect more than the three papers.
- For the mini research exam a paragraph proposing the mini
research exam topic and the list of three papers is due October
- The mini research exam writeup is due the week before the
presentations and should between 2000 and 5000 words, not
including the bibliography.
- The mini research exam talk will be 15-20 minutes. The
maximum number of slides permitted will be 10.
- You must set up a practice presentation with the Sanjay at
least two days before the actual mini research exam.