Bad Smells in Code
PART A DUE:
11:59PM, Friday, 6 November 2015
PART B DUE:
11:59PM, Sunday, 8 November 2015
Goal: This Discussion Assignment asks you to practice concepts related
Fowler describes numerous "bad smells" in code
in Chapter 3 of his book on refactoring.
Your job is to find bad smells in a program that
implements the Cave Game, and suggest refactorings
to remove the smells.
Develop a list of bad smells in the
The list should identify the portion of smelly code,
classify the code according to Fowler Ch. 3,
and justify including this item on the list.
Also, suggest appropriate refactorings for each identified code smell.
Discuss this with the other members of your topic forum.
See if your discussion group can reach a consensus on this issue.
Part A (5 points)
- Part A consists of your initial suggestions to the group posted to the private discussion group "D7".
- This must be more than
or "Sounds good!"
Be sure to clearly state the reasons or rationale behind your
If you have access to facts or other opinions that
support your opinion, cite those references.
Part B (2 + 3 = 5 points)
- In the private discussion group "D7", post responses to the initial posting. (2 points)
- In the private discussion group "D7", prepare a final group posting that
should include a combined list of the smells and associated refactorings in the CaveGame program. You may describe areas where you are in agreement and those where you are not.
- Make the final posting in the public discussion group called "Final group posting: Discussion Assignment 7". Indicate your group name in the thread title. (3 points)
- If you include quotation or thoughts from other sources,
be sure to cite them appropriately
(author, title, publisher, page, etc.).
- You may use HTML within these messages.