This class doesn’t use Microsoft PowerPoint for slides.
We use a system called S5,
which is a non-proprietary HTML-based slide show format.
They should work with any standard-compliant browser. I use the latest
version of Google Chrome, so that’s safest to use. I do try to test
them with Internet Explorer and Firefox, however. The slide show
itself doesn’t work with Opera, but the printed slides look good.
I encourage you to print the slides, so that you can easily take
notes on your paper copy of the slides. However, keep in mind that
I feel free to change the slides over time, so it might not be the
best plan to print out all the slides on the first day of class.
Viewing the slides
- In the Schedule page, click on the link for a day’s slides.
For example: Storage
- Click on the link at the top of the page that says
“See this page as a slide show”
- You’re now in the slide show. Use the arrow keys to move around.
Printing the slides
- While viewing the slides, use your browser’s normal means of printing
the slides, often File→Print or control-P. Keep in mind:
- Use landscape mode when printing.
- You have good eyesight: print four pages/page; save paper
Getting out of the slide show
- Use your browser’s back button to get out of the slide show,
or just close your browser.