We are using an online interactive book from zyBooks to as the main programming text. Instructions for registering with zyBooks are as follows:
- Click on your zyBooks link in your learning management system (Do not go to the zyBooks website and create a new account)
- Subscribe. The bookstore should have provided a code for you.
Please register in time to complete the first assignment. It can be found in Canvas.
We use Microsoft teams extensively in this course for virtual help desks, quick questions, live streams, and even office hours. You can more about student access to teams by going to the ACNS Teams Page.
While not required, we recommend downloading the application, as it runs smoother. To download MS Teams, you click the account icon (top right) after logging into MS Teams, and it gives you the option to download teams both for desktop and mobile.
CS 163/4: Java Programming (CS 1) uses the IntelliJ IDEA application, which is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for developing Java code. A standard installation of IntelliJ is available on all CS Department Linux computers for use by CS163/4 students. As a default, it will be assumed that students use this version on CS Department Machines.
IntelliJ can also be downloaded for free and installed on your personal computer. It is assumed that many students will find it possible to install and use IntelliJ on their own computers, and the instructor and TAs will try to help informally. However, successful installation and use of tools such as IntelliJ on your own machine demands some understanding of how to install and use new software on that platform, and ultimately it falls to the individual student to either succeed at such an effort or to use the resources already provided by the CS Department. The help that can be offered by the instructor and TAs is by necessity limited.
If you decide to run IntelliJ on your system, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Java Development Kit (JDK) first from here. The current version of Java on department systems is 1.8 (Version 8). You will need to create an account with Oracle in order to download the JDK.
- Go here to apply for the free version of IntelliJ for students.
- The java development environment is IntelliJ IDEA. The recommended install from JetBrains is downloading the JetBrains Toolbox and selecting IntelliJ once it is installed. That will keep it updated on your computer and easy to manage other IDEAs from them.
The Computer Science Department maintains some useful general help information for students new to using Linux, and about using Putty or SSH to connect to department Linux systems from Windows computers:
CSU Computer Science information is found here.
A useful Linux command reference card is found here.
Code Examples (GitHub)
This course has multiple repositories available for student access, that contain code examples, the knowledge checks and slides. You can access them using git or via direct download.
Direct: Handouts and Slides
Direct: Coding Examples
Online Java Practice
If you wish to have some online practice examples we recommend
You can also learn about the Java API by reading the Java Doc
Canvas Information and Technical Support
Canvas is the where course content, grades, and communication will reside for this course.
- Login: canvas.colostate.edu
- Support: info.canvas.colostate.edu
- For passwords or any other computer-related technical support, contact the Central IT Technical Support Help Desk.
- (970) 491-7276
Additional Study Resources & Tutoring
Additionally, there are a number of tutoring resources on campus. Learn more by visiting: TILT tutoring
We encourage students to make use of the University Counseling Services. Just as one takes care of your physical health, you should also take care of your mental health using all tools and means at your disposal. Your student fees provide access to a wide range of mental health support resources at no additional cost. Visit Counseling Services on the 3rd floor of the Health & Medical Center, and they’ll work together with you to find the resources that are best for you.